Wednesday 3 August 2011

An unusual Venetian mustard

The sun has been out in all its glory today, and me not being a sun lover, well apart from if I am somewhere exotic, like Venice for example, decided to stay indoors where I could keep cool.

Whilst perusing my cookery books amidst my happy cooldom, I found a recipe in this book for Mostardo de Venezia.

This book cost me 1p on Amazon!!!  Bargain!!!
Essentially a mustard type condiment usually made with either entirely quinces, or a mixture of quinces and pears, flavoured with mustard powder and sweetened with sugar.  Living here in Bedfordshire I don't think I have ever had the opportunity to buy quinces, and certainly didn't fancy trying to source them today, plus it's not really the season for them, so I decided to use all pears.

The resulting mustard I wouldn't quite call a mustard.  More a sweet, fruity sauce with a slight mustard taste to it.  The recipe said to cook it until you have reached an apple sauce consistency and this is what I did, but the taste and texture of the sauce really doesn't live up to the exotic name, in my opinion.  And I am not quite sure what I would serve this alongside. 

Maybe after 3-4 weeks of maturing the sauce will be tastier and it will inspire me into deciding what dishes it would compliment.

Failing that, when I make it again, which I invariably will, even if only because I love the recipe name and just adore Venice, maybe I will use quinces.......if I can get hold of any.




No comments: