Sunday 14 August 2011

Fresh onion pickle & some potatoes

I decided that this fresh onion pickle would go extremely well with our BBQ this evening.

Mamta's fresh Indian spiced pickled onion. 

So, not wanting to wait until we have an Indian meal later on in the week, I eagerly made a batch using a mix of our home grown white and red onions and Sarson's spiced pickling vinegar.  Here is the dish, marinating in the lovely, spicy vinegar ready to be chomped later on. 




I can see this working really well in a bun alongside a Linda McCartney sausage, with some salad leaves and a splodge of Heinz tomato ketchup, which if you ask me no BBQ should be without.  Yum!

Not only have I been playing about with onions all day, but I have been scrubbing our newly dug Pink Fir Apple potatoes too.  These were dug fresh this morning.




So far this season we have had four or five loads like this to munch our way through, and bearing in mind the minimal amount we paid for them from the local garden centre in the first place, we have more than had our money's worth from this crop and then some, and they are so delicious!  Tonight some of these will be bagged up in foil with olive oil, a splash of white wine, salt & pepper and some mint leaves picked fresh from the garden.  Then on the BBQ for 15 minutes or so............

I am dribbling at the thought of how I just know that they are going to go all sticky and caramelised around the edges as they cook in their little tin foil package.

No comments: