Sunday 28 August 2011

Less pickling, more scarecrows!

Today I was going to make a batch of lime curd, at the request of a couple of work colleagues who would like to purchase some, and also because I quite fancy trying some myself.  And I did intend to make a vegan chocolate cake from this delightful little book but at the last minute we decided to venture four miles up the road to a little village called Shillington which holds a scarecrow festival every other August bank holiday weekend instead.  We have never missed one and this year was no exception.  Curd and cake can wait until tomorrow.

Instead of walking around having a look at all the exhibits we drove around.  Partly because the weather was looking a little bit threatening rain wise, but mainly because I am struggling a little bit with a back injury.  But being confined to the car did not mean that the scarecrows were any less enjoyable.

Here are a few snapshots of my favourite crow scarers.

I think this is the most unusual scarecrow that I have ever seen, in the form of a snake.  A first I reckon.



Check out Gordon Ramsey outside The Crown pub.  We pulled up in our car just as Michael and Julie were sticking GR's face on.  One of my favourites.



I rather liked this little four man band.


Check out the mankini clad scarecrow stood outside one of our favourite watering holes.


It's food related so I love it.  I told the owner of the house so too, and she seemed well chuffed with my comments.



Not sure if it is obvious from the photo but this witch's cauldron was actually bubbling and letting off steam.


And there were crow noises coming from these crows!  Either that or the trees around us were full of actual crows!  Who knows???


Finally the scarecrow that my 8 year old nephew told me to look out for.  The Giant.  I didn't really need to look out for him.  He sort of leapt out on the horizon as we drove along the road from about half a mile away, all massive and daunting in front of us.  There are a few little tiny people on the left hand side of the shot, who were busying themselves with some ale or wine or something, that will maybe put the whole massiveness of the beast into perspective.  Isn't this just the biggest scarecrow you have ever seen in your life?  All praise to whoever put him together.  Maybe some film producer somewhere would like to recreate 'Children Of The Corn' Shillington style???


Roll on 2013 when we can enjoy our next surreal corny experience, ooh arr ohh arr!





No comments: