Monday 29 August 2011

The best bruscetta topping ever

When I met my other half four years ago, and we were discussing food one day, as we normally do, and he mentioned that he 'doesn't do capers' I knew I could sway him out of that mindset with the best bruscetta topping ever!

I do not know for the life of me where I first heard about this recipe, but I do know for certain that I first tasted it after creating it with my own fair hand circa 2000 in a shady garden in Stansted Mountfitchet, on a small plot of land purposely built by me and my partner at the time for BBQ's and picnics and balmy evenings spent listening to music whilst our two cats Tigger and Sooty mooched about around our feet..

Here's a little snap of my dearly departed Tigger, relaxing and enjoying his new home in Shefford in 2009.



And here is Sooty, or 'Scoot Moot' as we seem to have got into the habit of calling him these days, donning a chef hat, looking a little bit fed up with the whole hat wearing situation! 


So the best ever bruscetta topping has to be a mixture of very ripe and fresh tomatoes, chopped up into tiny dice, skin and pips and flesh and all, a good amount of chopped fresh parsley, capers that have been drained and rinsed and then chopped up finely, a good slosh of really good olive oil and some salt and pepper.  I like to add a dash of red wine vinegar and a pinch of sugar too.  Mix that up well and then you are ready to top your bruscetta.  Take a baguette, slice quite thinly and then toast lightly and rub with garlic and drizzle with olive oil.  Then pile on the tomatoey caper mix. 


I have converted my other half.  He now agrees that this is pure heaven on a plate.  I really do urge you to try it.  And a freezing cold glass of Chardonnay on the side wouldn't go amiss either.

No comments: