Saturday 30 July 2011

A strawberry curd is born!

Whilst picking up some groceries on the way home from work last night, I decided that the strawberries looked (and smelled) decidedly delicious!  So I picked up a punnet or two and returned home with another mad urge to create a new fruit curd. 

I hunted around the cupboards and fridge to see if there was another flavour that I could pair up with the strawbs, but in the end decided that it would be a pure strawberry curd with no interference from any other overpowering ingredient, apart from the usual hint of lemon juice and zest.

As the fruit was bubbling away on the hob, the aroma wafting around the house was just mouthwateringly joyous!  I couldn't resist dancing around the kitchen with Vivaldi's Four Seasons playing on the i-pod while I inhaled the heavenly fruit fumes!  The finished curd is absolutely sublime and I can imagine it livening up any English cream tea in place of the strawberry jam.  In fact, if I can muster up some vegan fruit scones later on today I may indulge in an English cream tea in the garden, but instead of having whipped cream on the scone alongside a mug of tea, I may ring the changes by having vegan cream in a mug of coffee instead.  Yum!

No comments: