Wednesday 27 July 2011

Another fruit curd experiment

Something I have been meaning to conjure up in my kitchen for quite some time is a vegan rhubarb curd.  Tonight I finally caved in and, after a really busy day at work decided to don my apron quick as a flash, get into my kitchen pronto, and as a result the rhubarb curd has been born!  And with enough time spare to cook and eat dinner, watch a bit of telly and do a bit of blog updating.

So far my vegan curd making reportoire includes a basic lemon curd, an orange curd, a mixture of the lemon and the orange curd, grapefruit curd, mango and lime curd, peach and almond curd, and a blueberry and lemon curd.  Not quite sure what my favourite of the bunch is so far!  All have been very delicious.  And while this curd cools I still have to decide if rhubarb is up there with the others as a winning flavour.

This evening's resulting curd is actually more of a lemon curd with background rhubarb flavours.  I made it with the only rhubarb available to me - tinned in a light syrup.  Next time I will try with fresh.  I am really pleased with the taste at this early stage, but the appearance lets it down somewhat.

Here it is cooling in a jug next to a bowl of apples.




Now when I think of rhubarb, I think of bright, colourful, attractive pink stems, mouthwateringly gorgeous to the eye.  But actually when cooked you realise how they are mainly green in colour.

So here is my jug of mushy peas, I mean lemon curd with rhubarb!  I will be sharing a sample of it with colleagues at work tomorrow to get their view on it.

No comments: